Every once in a while, I get one or both of these errors when updating WordPress or trying to add new images to the Media Library.
Incompatible archive: PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) :
Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature
error saving media attachment.
I looked for the answer, and found many, but I finally found why I was getting them. I didn’t have enough disk space.
What you can do…
- Contact your Web host and ask for more space
- Delete unneeded media files and limit the size of uploaded originals
- Completely delete (not just disable) unused WordPress plugins
- Configure your email client to NOT “leave email on the server”
- Host any videos currently in your pages off-site (YouTube, etc.) and embed them back in from there
All of the above will increase your server space. Sometimes by a little, sometimes by a lot.
Media files are getting higher and higher in resolution increasing their file sizes. If they’re uploaded without resizing, it can fill your server space fast.